Portuguese Heritage Scholarship Program
The Portuguese Cultural Centre of B.C. will award three scholarships of $2,000 each to students of Portuguese heritage graduating from a British Columbia high school.
- One scholarship will be awarded to a student attending an accredited University in British Columbia.
- One scholarship will be awarded to a student attending an accredited College in British Columbia.
- One scholarship will be awarded to a student attending an accredited apprenticeship program British Columbia.
To be eligible to receive one of the three annual scholarships, students must:
- Fulfill the criteria for acquiring Portuguese Citizenship.
- Be a graduating senior at a high school in the province of British Columbia.
- Be enrolled in a full-time 1st year or pre apprenticeship program at a post-secondary institution in British Columbia.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit an online application.
- Include the following documents with the application.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal profile
- Official high school transcript
Scholarship recipients will be selected based on qualities traditionally valued and demonstrated by the immigrant community:
- Hard work
- Academic achievement
- Community work
A committee of 4-6 individuals will anonymously review each application and score the provided documentation as follows:
- 70% based on the cumulative grade 11 and 12 GPA
- 15% based on the student’s profile
- 10% based on the applicant’s community involvement
- 5% based on the applicant’s reference letters
The results will then tallied and announced by the scholarship program administrator. No correspondence will be entered into after the results have been announced.
- March 1 – Application opens online.
- April 30 – Online scholarship application closes.
- July 31 – Finalists advised by email.
To be considered applications must be received by the deadline of 11:59 PM on April 30
Before receiving the scholarship, recipients will have to provide the following additional documentation.
- Letter of acceptance and proof of enrollment
- Final official transcript from the BC Ministry of Education
- Social insurance number for the issuing of a T4A
- Any address change since the start of the application.
Questions can be directed to [email protected]